Privacy: A Concept of Future Past?
–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
The digital footprint of and tracking has been emphasized and stressed over since internet tracking began. However I do not feel as if I have seen many people describe it as a tattoo as TED talker Juan Enriquez brilliantly explained. This to me seems much more fitting as a tattoo just like once internets browsing can leave an overall stain and statement on ones internet history. This is somewhat darkening especially in the age of social media. One would imagine that digital security should and or would be at an all time high however it seems as if this is the opposite case. A prime example of this would be facebook as they were seemingly data mined all of their customers information. Whats even more shocking is that the idea of privacy is often discouraged with modern day social medias as many of them require one to tag pictures and locations in an effort to encourage engagement, and some apps simply refuse to function if these features are not active. This has affected my friends more than it has my family I would say as their are far too many people I know who have been hacked on social media simply by clicking on a link exposing their complete account and therefore their information to all parties who it may interest. This should most defiantly be looked into by the government, but I would say this could bring up the potential problem of over-policing social media as many feel as social media is a free and safe space. While I understand there is and always is a presence of the US Government, and its officials online, I do worry for better or for worse that this could deter people from using it. I do feel like the best way to protect information would be to have the government crack down on the corporation which are involved with the data theft and using it as an exploitation. The best thing we should do is remove ourselves from unnecessary social media apps, and or features. For example not all information should be completely included on social media like ones banking information for example should not be tied to social media apps. These could easily be hacked and ones banking information along with it. This as well ass monitoring ones digital tattoo could help along with the inclusion of security as listed below.
No comments:
Post a Comment